Saturday, March 10, 2018

Sweet and Sour Meatballs and Rice


urgg... I am very  impatiently waiting for winter to be over. Its been snowing since Thursday morning.. it is now Saturday night. The only good thing.. Time goes ahead tonight. That is always a clear sign that spring is on its way. I have been dreaming of summer days and summer nights since December lol.

Today was such a lazy day in our house. We just lazed around. I didn't even shower until like 7pm. And would you believe that we ate kraft dinner and hot dogs for lunch lol Thats what kind of day it was. But for supper I knew that I needed to bring out the big guns. I decided to make sweet and sour meatballs and my Aunt Donna's rice.

I really dont think my Aunt Donna came up with this rice but growing up she always made it. Then when I looked in my Grammy Hambrooks recipe books thats what it said "Donna's Rice" so I kept the tradition. As for the meatballs I was watching Rachael Ray one day and she was making burgers and she said to grate the onion and garlic into the burgers. My hubby loved that so I started doing that. Trust me it makes a difference.

Sweet and Sour Meatballs



For the meatballs:
1 package of ground beef
1 onion grated
2 cloves of garlic grated
1/2 cup of bread crumbs
1 egg mixed up

Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Put everything in bowl and mixed it all together. Then roll into little balls and place on a cookie sheet. I sprinkle salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil over top. Then place in the oven for about 20-30 mins. While they are cooking get sauce ready.

Sweet and Sour Sauce
** I call this whatever you can find that might taste good in it sauce**
1 cup of ketchup
1 tbsp mustard
mix these 2 together first
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp pancake syrup
2 tbsp bbq sauce
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup of brown sugar

you can also add maple syrup, left over sweet and sour sauce or honey garlic, apple juice, pineapples and pineapple juice. Whatever you got in the fridge lol

Then I add 1/4 cup of cornstarch with a little water and the put that in the sauce to thicken it.
Then I put everything in the slowcooker and cook on high for about 1-2 hours until sauce is cooked.




Aunt Donna's Rice



You will need:
1 pkg Onion Soup Mix
2 cups long grain rice (not minute rice)
3 cups water
1/3 cup soya sauce
1/3 cup vegtable oil

Veggies of your choice: onions, green pepprs, mushrooms, celery
Meat of your choice: (which youdont have to add) chicken, ground beef, porkchops

Mix all together in a dish 

Bake at 350 for 1hr to 1 hr 30 mins






No comments:

Post a Comment