Thursday, June 21, 2018

Whole Wheat Chicken Pot Pie



I love food... I love all kinds of food.. good food and bad food. But I have had to cut out the bad in my life. You don't realize what is in foods that isn't bad for you. Like Chicken Pot Pie. It sounds like it would be good because its full of veggies and chicken... but the crust is full of enriched white flour and if you use cream of chicken soup that too isn't that good for you! Today I set out on a mission.. to make my favorite comfort food... healthy! I think I did a pretty good job. I found a few recipes and mixed them all together and ta da.. the end result!




You will need:
For the filling
- 2-3 chicken breast chopped up and cooked
- whatever veggies you want it it. I put peas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, corn. You can add one potato, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, whatever you feel like today!
- 3 tbsp of whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 can chicken broth

For the biscuit topping
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt


Directions:

  1. Cut up chicken and cook in a sauce pan
  2. once cooked then add veggies and cook them for a few mins until soft
  3. Mix whole wheat flour and chicken broth together. Then add to saucepan and then add the milk 
  4. Let it simmer until veggies are cooked
  5. For the biscuit topping. Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix. 
  6. Place veggie mix in a baking dish (with a cover or cover with tin foil) and top with biscuit mix. Spread out the biscuit mix then cover
  7. Bake at 425 for about 30 mins or until biscuit topping is cooked
  8. Let stand for a few mins to cool and then serve








No comments:

Post a Comment