Thursday, August 2, 2018

Tips on choosing the right camera


A email or message I get a lot is from people asking me "What camera should I buy?" The answer I give people is whatever one is good for you. Or some people will send me links to photos of cameras and ask "is this a good camera, I am thinking of buying it?" To be honest I don't know. I dont know because I dont know what you want it for or what you will be doing or what your price range is.

I have decided to compile a list of tips to help you choose the right camera just for you :)

1. Where should I buy my camera?
There are lots of great places where you can buy your camera. I first suggest Amazon. The reason why is because you can usually get them pretty cheap and you can usually get bundles from people. And if you are an amazon prime member you can get free shipping and your camera here in 2 days. I also suggest Costco... they have a really good return policy and again you can usually bundles with your camera. I also like Best Buy because they have an amazing warranty on all their products especially if you buy the extended warranty.


2. What brand of camera should I buy?
I am a Canon Girl. I have shot with a Canon Rebel and I now shoot with a Canon 60D. I am a Canon girl. Nikon is also a great camera. I have never shot with a Nikon but I have heard they are really great cameras. Personally I would stay within Canon and Nikon because they are the world leaders in Cameras but there are some great companies coming out with great cameras.

If you are looking for a good camera that is not a big camera or DSLR Canon does make a great Powershot Camera. Its a little better than a point and shoot but its not a a Canon Rebel and its nice and light. It also takes good photos. Canon Rebel are a great intro camera to buy. I started off with a Rebel and I loved it. I still have a Rebel as my backup camera. They are great cameras to buy when you are looking to grow. Nikon also has an equivlant to the Rebel its the Nikon 3200D.

Keep in mind that DSLR camera's are getting more affordable but not for everyone. Remember they are bigger, heavier, harder to keep clean, comes with lens and can be more complicated.




3. Determine what you need
Ask yourself some questions before you buy your camera. Like:
- what do you need a camera for?
- what type of features are you looking for?
- what is your budget?
- are you going to travel with it?
- are you taking sports photos with it?


4. Megapixels are not everything.
Once upon a time the more megapixels the better but not now a days. Most camera's come with at least 5 megapixels. Just remember the more mega pixels, the more space on your memory card and computer it will take up. If you are looking to blow images then yes more mega pixels the better.

5. Keep in mind the extra's
When you buy your camera from Amazon, Ebay or even at a store sometimes (Most times) they come in a bundle. Which yes its great you are getting all this stuff with your camera for a low price. But do you really need all that stuff? Are you really going to use that fish eye lens when you barely know what the kit lens is that came with your camera? Look at what you would like
-memory cards
-extra batteries
-tripod
-lens
-camera case


6. Zoom Lens
Its great if your camera comes with a zoom lens. To be honest I barely use my zoom lens. In the last 4 years I have had it I might have used it a few times. Its not my favourite lens and its great to have it but I don't use it. Just remember that not all zoom lens are the same and are created different. One might be a fixed lens or one might not zoom as far as you want it too.



7. READ REVIEWS READ REVIEWS READ REVIEWS
When I go to buy a new camera I research and check reviews. Don't always rely just on the sales person. Most sales persons don't always know anything about cameras and some are paid or have an incentive to make the sale. I usually Google what camera I am looking at and read the reviews that are posted. I also check out Youtube and watch videos. I like Jared Polin he has a lot of videos on different cameras and reviews them.

8. Don't assume a high price camera means quality.
To be honest.. its all about the person behind the camera. When I started in the photorgaphy business I shot with probably was the first Canon Rebel and I would see people at weddings with these big huge cameras and get scared. But at the end of the day.. I probably knew that little rebel better than they knew their camera.

9. Look at the battery type and price of battery
When I first started I just assumed that cameras used regular ole batteries that you buy at store. NOPE I was wrong. Each and every camera I own  comes with a different battery and a different charger. Yes there are a lot of chargers and batteries floating around my house lol


10. Check out the memory card
Not all camera's use a regular SD memory card. Most now a days do but there are still some out there that use mini, macro or even a compact flash card. Read up on which card you will need for your camera.


Overall, the main this is to make sure its a camera you really want and why you want it. Do the research and check it out. Most camera stores now have ones you can go and look at. You are able to hold it and see if it feels right for you. I hope this helps you make the right choice camera and feel free to message me anytime and I will try and help you out the best I can.

Happy Shooting

Paige







No comments:

Post a Comment